Watch this short video that demonstrates how to turn your water off at the meter or follow these simple steps:
- Locate your meter, which is typically in your front yard on the corner near the street.
- Remove the protective cover from your meter box. Remember to replace this cover when you are finished.
- Locate the shut-off valve, which is located on the street side of the meter.
- You will need a crescent or tee wrench (also called cut-off key). This wrench can be purchased at any hardware/home improvement store.
- Attach the wrench to the shut-off valve and slowly turn the valve clockwise a quarter of a turn. This will stop the water flowing into your home.
- Confirm that you have indeed closed the valve and stopped the water flow by going inside and turning on a faucet.
- To re-activate your service, attach the wrench to the shut off valve and SLOWLY turn the valve counter clockwise.